Tuesday 8 November 2011

Iconography.

Hello :) So a little while ago, we had to do a collage of things that represented us to demonstrate Ferdinand de Saussure's theory of semiotics. Here is said collage:



  • 1 and 22: So I was unaware that pentagrams are Satanic symbols until the other day, and then I thought back to this and thought 'oh no, they're going to think I'm a devil worshipper' (not that there's anything wrong with that, you know, some people do love them a bit of Satan). I have not accepted Lucifer as my lord and saviour (although I can see his point), honestly, I just really like Supernatural. Which brings us nicely to 2, 16, 26, 17. I literally live and breathe Supernatural, so it seemed only fitting to add some nice pictures of some pretty men from it. I was going to make up some massive thing about how I relate to 2 and Sam/Dean's brother relationship with my own sister, but that'd just be untrue. I just find them attractive.
  • 3 (flowery dress): I wear a lot of flowery dresses, and when people see them they're always like 'oh, Sarah, I saw this dress you'd really like!' and people just associate it with me.
  • 4 and 28 (tickets): I go to gigs and musicals a lot; they're like my favourite places ever to be and I try to go as often as I can.
  • 5: This is my niece, Katie. I put her on here because she means absolutely everything to me and I love her so much. She's the most amazing little girl and I would do anything for her. She's in the middle because she's the most important thing in my life and I will always bend over backwards to see her or to anything for her. 
  • 6 and 29: I'm really into films, and Danny Boyle and Stanley Kubrick are two of my favourite directors ever because their films are just immense.
  • 7: Love me a bit of Kerrang!
  • 8: I'm a massive supporter of gay rights because, well, it would be hypocritical if I weren't. 
  • 9: I constantly listen to my iPod and I love music, so I put them there. You can't see them because of the lighting, but there's also music notes on there because I play instruments and just generally love music. These signify that I am a very musical person and involve myself in music. (I could make another link to my social awkwardness here, but I think we've heard enough about that and I think it's very apparent).
  • 10 and 15: Harry Potter is my childhood. It came out when I was like 3, so I've grown up with it and it symbolises, to me, being young and growing up.
  • 11: This isn't because I'm fat and like cake, honest, this is like one of those weird family quirk things. This is Colin and he's a caterpillar cake (that's actually what it's called, I didn't name it like the sad fat child I was), and every year, my mum would buy me and my sister one on our birthday and now it's tradition that everyone gets a Colin on their birthday. It's weird, I know, but there's my family for you, I guess!
  • 12: This is a train ticket. I get on trains a lot. Especially to London. I really miss those old travelcards. They were only two pounds, and now I have to pay like £7 to get into London, which is just ridiculous and is why I never go there any more /rant.
  • 13: This is the symbol for The Black Parade, an album by My Chemical Romance. They are my favourite band of all time and they were the first gig I ever went to and I just love them.
  • 14: That's the Eleanor Cross memorial thing that sits awkwardly in Waltham Cross, which is where I (unfortunately) live.
  • 18: That's the symbol for Tumblr, where I basically live my life. I guess it also signifies my social awkwardness because, in reality, I can't talk to people I don't know without having a complete mental breakdown, but on there, it's different because I can think for ages about what I'm going to say before I actually say it, so my brain doesn't melt during conversation.
  • 19: You can't read it, but it says Camden Town, and it's off a leaflet they give you up in Camden. I love Camden so much because they just accept anyone up there and it's just mental so I like it. Plus, they do some good Chinese in the market, even if it does give you food poisoning.
This is taking so long.
  •  20: That's a library. I've loved reading ever since I was able to read and my book collection is basically a library because it's so big. I love books. I would marry books if I could, they're so much better than people. I guess this also signifies my social awkwardness, because I'd rather sit at home with my books and read about fictional people, who I like better than real people, than actually go out and have to experience social interaction.
  • 21: That's a place called Potters; it's a leisure resort in Norfolk. Sounds lame, but I go there every year with my dad and Annie. It's just full of memories for me, and I've met some great people there.
  • 23: That's the symbol for Jigsaw, the performing arts school I go to. Love me a bit of performing arts. I used to want to do it for a living, then I realised that I have no talents whatsoever.
  • 24: Shakespeare is just a massive babe.
  • 25: In year 11, I lived in the Starbucks next to my friend's house. It just reminds me of all the good times we had before we started year 12 and now we don't see each other /emotion.
  • 27: Corey Taylor is a flawless human being.
  • 30: A Clockwork Orange - I know that's the film poster, but it's just an amazing book that I love. The film's good, but not as good as the book. I just love it. I tried to learn nadsat once... Didn't go so well.
WE DID IT, GUYS. We got through my totally uninteresting collage about my completely uninteresting self! Succeed. Good day.


3 comments:

  1. Love it!

    Not that I'd ever try and modify your unique authorial voice (which I have enjoyed reading and had myself a darn good chuckle whilst doing so) but (yes, there's always a but - consider it a universal constant) would you be able to edit this just a little, just a tiny bit, to incorporate some 'media words' in a slightly more formal style such as 'symbolising' and 'signifying' and, perhaps, through in some Theorsists names. I don't imagine you've got much Levi-Strauss to mention, but there is a bucket load of Saussure potential.

    Apologies for the comma-strewn missives. I like my commas, they are nice. They help me convey the tangential nature of my brainwaves and...err...stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEEEK! 'Throw' not 'through'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And 'theorists' rather than the garbage I typed. I...give up...

    ReplyDelete